[oe] QA Logs now on tinderbox

Koen Kooi k.kooi at student.utwente.nl
Tue Sep 23 11:14:11 UTC 2008

Andrea Adami wrote:
> Hi,
>
> yesterday oestats was expanded and now the QA errors are logged.
>
> Here a first bunch of QA:
>
> These two are the most common:
>
> evil hides inside the .pc, staging,
> /staging/armeb-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/usr/lib/pkgconfig/pycairo.pc
>
> evil hides inside the .pc, staging,
> /staging/armeb-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/usr/lib/pkgconfig/ORBit-2.0.pc

While I applaud the fact that people are starting to take QA seriously,
I must stress that the current logs are highly misleading to most people.

Take a look at http://tinderbox.openembedded.net/packages/libtool/

The QA log for libtool (on armeb) says:

evil hides inside the .pc, staging,
/staging/armeb-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/usr/lib/pkgconfig/pycairo.pc
evil hides inside the .pc, staging,
/staging/armeb-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/usr/lib/pkgconfig/ORBit-2.0.pc

Both of these aren't part of the libtool packages, but part of
python-pycairo_1.4.0.bb and orbit2_2.14.12.bb respectively.

The staging QA checks inspect the *complete* staging area, not just the
files the recipe put in there. Some people have already started moving
recipes to non-working because they didn't bother to look what was
causing the QA error, but only acted on the last QA log on their screen.
"Libtool has errors in its QA log, so it must be broken" - Bzzzzt! WRONG!

So please take care when you inspect the QA logs, things aren't always
what they seem.

regards,

Koen