[oe] do you have this error when building kernel module? (KERNEL_VERSION)

Rodrigo Vivi rodrigo.vivi at gmail.com
Tue Sep 23 14:43:33 UTC 2008

Hi there,

I'm experiencing an strange error when building some kernel modules for Mamona.

That's the error message:
NOTE: Runtime target '()' is unbuildable, removing...
Missing or unbuildable dependency chain was: ['()']

That's because we have on module.bbclass this:
RDEPENDS += "kernel (${KERNEL_VERSION}) update-modules"
but on the very begining $KERNEL_VERSION is null... After some builds
it comes from  module-base.bbclass:
export KERNEL_VERSION =
"${@base_read_file('${STAGING_KERNEL_DIR}/kernel-abiversion')}"
that gets from a already built kernel on STAGING_KERNEL_DIR.

I believe that this is an structure problem that we need to solve, but
I don't know what should be the best solution.
* export an hardcoded KERNEL_VERSION?
* remove KERNEL_VERSION from the rdepends?

I was wondering as well why did no one has experienced it before.... any idea?

Thanks

--
Rodrigo Vivi
INdT - Instituto Nokia de Tecnologia