[oe] Math is hard, but please pay attention to PV

Michael Krelin hacker at klever.net
Wed Sep 24 19:06:00 UTC 2008

> On Wednesday 24 September 2008 12:11:29 Michael Krelin wrote:
>
>> What about using something like the output of `git describe --tags $(git
>> rev-parse HEAD)` as a sortable key?
>
> this requires that there is a tag in the history, it is not always true. :)

That's true. In fact, I'm not well acquainted with the problem (like I
thought it has to do with the sources fetched, but why would then
mickeyl regret using git for *own* projects?). My point is - perhaps
sometimes it's applicable and  then it could be used. A nice addition to
git-describe would be counting from initial commit or the oldest merge
if there's more than one ;-)

Love,