[oe] OE presentations

Alessandro GARDICH gremlin at gremlin.it
Wed Apr 1 06:59:02 UTC 2009

Robert Schuster wrote:
> Hi Alessandro,
>
> Alessandro GARDICH schrieb:
>> Hi all
>>
>> this is a presentation I did about Linux Embedded and OpenEmbedded in
>> Italian for Linux Day (in Italy) in 2007.
>>
>> http://www.gremlin.it/download/index.php?dir=&file=LinuxDay2007%20-%20GNU%20Linux%20Embedded.pdf
> This link provokes some anti-leech thingie ... disturbing .. :$
>
> Anyway. I don't understand itialian but your slides look like you argue
> that an embedded system has certain system parameters like RAM, storage,
> CPU speeds that are much lower to what you expect from a desktop
> machine. While this may be true for some time you are always risking
> that next years' technology catches up with your assumptions very quickly.
>
> Just think about the Sheeva CPU which supports clockspeed up to 1.2GHz,
> or the OMAP4 which will comes with 2 CPU cores.
>
> A better way to argue is IMO the great integration an embedded system
> provides. The chip that makes up the system often contains various
> controllers for e.g. ethernet, wireless, sound, lcd, bluetooth, ...
> Often there is also a graphics core and a DSP added.
>
> And while having all these shiny stuff in they consume a fraction of the
> power a desktop CPU does.
>
> That is at least the way I would introduce people to the embedded world. :)
>
> Regards
> Robert

Yes, but as i said, it's a presentation of 2007 ...
and was an introduction to Embedded Linux and OE, for in high scool students
and fresh linux users.
Moreover, most ARM processor was under 300MHz in 2007

--
|           Alessandro Gardich : gremlin at gremlin.it             |
|  I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself.                   |
|  A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough              |
|  without ever having felt sorry for itself.                   |