[oe] Does your own system matter

Holger Schurig hs4233 at mail.mn-solutions.de
Wed Apr 1 14:09:51 UTC 2009

> > I am using Ubuntu 8.10 (x86) and Debian squeeze (amd64) for
> > OE development. Works like a charm.
>
> That sounds reassuring. Are you building uclibc at all? Also,
> does it matter what versions of gcc and g++ packages you have
> installed locally?

I'm building uclibc-based devices (AVR32 and ARMv5TEJ) on Debian
Etch (Office) and Debian Unstable (home).

The frozen one uses uclibc 0.9.28, the other currently 0.9.30.1.

However, my devices aren't general usable PDA-like devices, so I
use a very selected set of packages (lots hand-craftet BBFILES
+= ..., this also gives nice bitbake-parse times). And I'm not
using Angstrom as distribution, but have something different
(e.g. centered around unionfs/aufs to minimize flash-wearout).

One device uses a frozen org.openembedded.dev version and is VERY
tiny, just 33 *.bb files, the other device is currently on the
development branch of OpenEmbedded, as development for that
device hasn't yet finished.

As a side note, I don't build all -native packages and instead
have this in my config:

ASSUME_PROVIDED += "bison-native"
ASSUME_PROVIDED += "fakeroot-native"
ASSUME_PROVIDED += "file-native"