[oe] [RFC] more streamlined review procedure, was: Re: [STABLE] branch created: stable/2009

Koen Kooi k.kooi at student.utwente.nl
Thu Apr 2 10:49:51 UTC 2009

On 31-03-09 21:49, Marcin Juszkiewicz wrote:
> Dnia wtorek, 31 marca 2009 o 19:17:27 Tom Rini napisał(a):
>>> Great!
>>>
>>> I already have a few patches queued up for the stablebranch:
>>>
>>> http://dominion.thruhere.net/koen/OE/for-stable/
>>>
>>> What's the proper procedure for getting those in?
>>
>> And please answer in the form of a link to a wiki page :)
>
> http://wiki.openembedded.net/index.php/Stable contains first
> informations.

I've found that there's a huge flaw in this setup:

Currently there are 8 people signed up as 'maintainers' for the stable
branch, but only 2 (yes, two) have looked at some of the patches posted
2 days ago. Another said he didn't want to look at patches for machines
he didn't build for. No idea why the other 4 haven't responded, but if
this continues then the stable branch can be closed down immediately.

Why? The current procedure requires an ACK from a stable 'maintainer'
(not including yourself, of course), but you won't get an ACK or even a
NACK.

This is annoying since I've had the first bugreports from users that
were solved by patches that are 'under review'.

The previous stable branch tried to guarantee that you'd get at least a
reaction on all your patches within 24 hours, so submitters knew what
was happening. A 'reaction', not a 'review', so "will look at it next
week" is perfectly well.

So my proposal:

* within 24 hours of posting at least 1 reaction from any stable
'maintainer'
* No review within a week means automatic approval, commit must have
"UNREVIEWED" marker to signify that.

Also:

I still have unreviewed patches in my for-stable bundle:
http://patchwork.openembedded.org/bundle/koen/koen-for-stable-20090331/

regards,

Koen