[oe] [RFC] opkg conffiles force overwrite

Tick ticktock35 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 03:59:04 UTC 2009

Hi All,
  I am pondering that let conf->force_overwrite in opkg enable
resolve_conffiles overwrite any conffiles. Now opkg will not overwrite
the conffiles even if you set force_overwrite. It will cause opkg ask
user to choose what to do to the conffiles if they are changed.

Adding another flag e.g. force_overwrite_conffile seems a little bit
superfluous and not orthogonal to force_overwrite. But it will not
change current opkg behavior.

Letting force_overwrite can overwrite conffiles will cause logical
change of this flag.  This will make opkg-cl asking nothing when
upgrade some conffiles if you set force_overwrite. It may cause users
lose their own setting without a second chance to save them?

In my own opinion, I prefer let force_overwrite flag can overwrite
files including conffiles, because it has to be set manually. But this
will change the behaviour of opkg, and may have some impact on other
projects. Such as OE. That makes me consider again and again.

My proposal is if conffiles been overwrited because force_overwrite
was set.
The old conffile XXXX will be move to XXXX~, and adding a warning
message of "overwriting conffile XXXX".
Is that a good solution?

any advice?

p.s. please reply to opkg-devel at googlegroups.com.