[oe] /linuxrc link to /bin/busybox causes booting to fail, (sysvinit should be used instead)

David Huggins-Daines dhuggins at cs.cmu.edu
Tue Apr 7 14:37:19 UTC 2009

> On 03-04-09 22:44, David Huggins-Daines wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > When booting base-image or minimal-image from a ramdisk, I get errors
>> > like the following:
>>

> Do you have
> http://cgit.openembedded.net/cgit.cgi?url=openembedded/commit/&id=5261978d6f9600640c1ea4f1393e18772d4f9657
> in your OE tree?

I do, I think, but actually I discovered the reason for this.  It's a
subtlety of the Linux boot process which I didn't previously
understand.  Basically the kernel will use /linuxrc as init if and only
if the root filesystem on the command line is different from the root
partition.  So if you are using a ramdisk root (and not an initrd), you
need to put root=/dev/ram0 on the kernel command line.