[oe] [RFC] AMD64 and multilib support

Roman I Khimov khimov at altell.ru
Wed Apr 15 12:33:48 UTC 2009

Hello all.

This patch series (will follow in replies) tries to bring in AMD64/x86_64
support into OE. This required some intrusive toolchain fixes that I want to
post here for review and feedback as I think (or rather know ;)) I might have
broken something along the way.

I've tried to generalize my approach so that later we could add some more
64-bit goodies. So I've added 'multilib' OVERRIDE that I think we can set in
future in bitbake.conf by intersection of MACHINE_FEATURES and
DISTRO_FEATURES (now you can just add it to OVERRIDES in distro or
local.conf). Well, from what I see this FEATURES/OVERRIDES games can be
controversial but then please tell me how to do it better for toolchain.

What I've also tried to achieve is ability to build non-multilib toolchain,
although from what I see that will require passing "--disable-multilib" by
default for gcc-cross and that is a bit scary for now.

Then there is some directory naming things like 'lib' vs 'lib64' Given that we
have some places assuming 'lib' to be 'lib' that is solved in Debian style
(actually, stolen patches from Debian) where there is 'lib' for 64-bit arch
and 'lib32' for 32-bit arch.

Next thing is 'libexec' dir. I propose to set it to point to libdir and be
done with that (again, Debian does exactly this). For now, I've done that
just for glibc-multilib.

Well, that's it in general, please see patches for details and feel free to
bash it.