[oe] [RFC] AMD64 and multilib support

Stanislav Brabec utx at penguin.cz
Wed Apr 15 13:01:46 UTC 2009

Roman I Khimov wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> This patch series (will follow in replies) tries to bring in AMD64/x86_64
> support into OE. This required some intrusive toolchain fixes that I want to
> post here for review and feedback as I think (or rather know ;)) I might have
> broken something along the way.

Maybe building multilib distro in two separate build trees would be much
easier. Only very few packages (e. g. nspluginwrapper) are much harder
to be built in such environment.

I already tried this:

I used this one in my distro.conf:
layout_libdir = "${layout_exec_prefix}/lib64"

It was surprisingly painless. I hade to fix only few errors in
particular packages (fixes are already in oe.dev).

>Next thing is 'libexec' dir. I propose to set it to point to libdir and be
>done with that (again, Debian does exactly this). For now, I've done that
>just for glibc-multilib.

It's not so easy. Some packages install to libexecdir directly (which
causes ugly pollution of libdir), others use subdirectory.

Something like RECOMMENDED_LIBEXEC_PREFIX in particular packages would
fix this situation. Distros than could choose to keep things as they are
(/usr/libexec), use strictly prefixed /usr/libexec
($prefix/libexec/+$RECOMMENDED_LIBEXEC_PREFIX) use strictly prefixed
libdir, or anything else they want.

I used this one in my distro.conf:
layout_libexecdir = "${layout_exec_prefix}/lib"

But I would really prefer:
layout_libexecdir = "${layout_exec_prefix}/lib/${RECOMMENDED_LIBEXEC_PREFIX}"

--
Best Regards / S pozdravem,

Stanislav Brabec
software developer
SUSE LINUX, s. r. o.                          e-mail: sbrabec at suse.cz
Lihovarská 1060/12           tel: +420 284 028 966, +49 911 740538747
190 00 Praha 9                                  fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic                                    http://www.suse.cz/