[oe] [RFC] install-native

Roman I Khimov khimov at altell.ru
Mon Apr 27 13:29:33 UTC 2009

On Monday 27 April 2009 16:46:50 Otavio Salvador wrote:
> Hello Roman,
>
> On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 6:40 AM, Roman I Khimov <khimov at altell.ru> wrote:
> [...]
>
> > But maybe we can just remove 'install-native' completely?
>
> I belive the right way to handle it to fix install-native to support
> what is required.

Well, current install-native is unmaintained shell thingie. Hacking that to
mimic behavior of install from coreutils requires serious effort. Another
approach could be bringing install from some kind of coreutils-native and
depending every package on it. Certainly possible, but not sure it gives us
any benefits as we're already using host's 'install' (starting right up from
shasum-native) intensively and it works in general. Thus my proposal.