[oe] [RFC] Issues with 'RDEPENDS kernel' in module.bbclass using .deb packages

Josh Mahonin jmahonin at cbnco.com
Tue Aug 4 18:58:50 UTC 2009

Hi all,

I'm working on an updated recipe for nvidia-display, but unfortunately
during the rootfs stage of building an image it errors out on :
---
  nvidia-display: Depends: kernel (= 2.6.30) but 2.6.30-r1 is to be
installed
---

Now I'm building debian style packages, so when I check /var/dpkg/status
under the rootfs (which classes/rootfs_deb.bbclass uses) , sure enough I
have an entry for the kernel, with both the PV and PR in the 'Version'
field:
---
Package: kernel
Version: 2.6.30-r1
---

In classes/module.bbclass, however, we have the RDEPENDS which matches
only on PV, without the PR:
---
RDEPENDS += "kernel (${KERNEL_VERSION}) update-modules"
---

In the meantime I've worked around it by removing the KERNEL_VERSION
requirement in module.bbclass, although I don't think that's really the
right way to do it.

I suppose I could remove writing the PR to the status file, although
that might be useful to keep as a reference when upgrading packages
later.  It looks IPK-style packages also keep the PR in the version
field - is this an issue for those users as well, or is this DEB specific?

Are there any thoughts as to the right way to fix this issue?

Thanks in advance,

Josh