[oe] State of Perl in OpenEmbedded

Marcin Juszkiewicz marcin at juszkiewicz.com.pl
Mon Aug 10 14:45:24 UTC 2009

Hi

It is over 2 years since we got Perl 5.8.8 from Jamie Lenehan. We are
able to cross-compile Perl, we can build CPAN modules but thats all.

I wanted to run irssi on sheevaplug (under Angstrom). But this IRC
client is more usable when compiled with Perl support. It is not
possible at all with OpenEmbedded. Why?

1. We do not stage libperl at all. Fix is simple but see next point.
2. Software checks for perl cflags/ldflags by calling Perl. This means
   that on my system x86-64 libraries/headers are used nevermind for
   which target I try to build. Result is disaster.

Any ideas how to solve that? I gave up.

Regards,
JID:      hrw at jabber.org
Website:  http://marcin.juszkiewicz.com.pl/