[oe] Contents of the "origin/ulf/linux-2.6.30.2" branch. Help with testing wanted.

Ulf Samuelsson ulf.samuelsson at atmel.com
Wed Aug 12 13:32:50 UTC 2009

Marcin Juszkiewicz skrev:
> Dnia wtorek, 11 sierpnia 2009 o 20:55:00 Ulf Samuelsson napisał(a):
>> The goal of this branch is to update the AT91 support.
>>
>> 1) Fix AT91bootstrap, which is currently non-functional
>> 2) Update to the latest u-boot (2009.08-rc2)
>> 3) Update the kernel (2.6.30.2)
>>    with many AT91 patches not yet in mainstream kernel.
>>    MCI patches still lacking...
>
> Cool! I will check your changes and then rebase and merge them into .dev
> tree. I am also planning to push it later to stable/2009 branch.
>
>> I have so far managed to build everything and load
>> on an AT91SAM9263EK which has a dataflash
>> containing at91bootstrap, u-boot and linux.
>>
>> 0x0     at91bootstrap
>> 0x8400  u-boot
>> 0x84000 linux
>>
>> The NAND flash is programmed with a root file system
>>
>> 0x400000 JFFS2 root file system.
>
> Similar setup is used on at91sam9263-ek here so I will test your branch.
>
>> AT91BOOTSTRAP
>> v2.10 was completely wrong due to bad linkaddr.
>> v2.12 and v2.13 boots properly from dataflash.
>
> Can we just drop all older versions?

The guys responsible for afeb9260 might want to test.

> I had to add patch to 2.12 to get rid of -fno-dwarf2-cfi-asm parametr
> passed to GCC. Did not tested with 2.13-rc1 as at91.com is not
> reachable.

Yes, fixed in 2.13-rc1
Will send you the source file.

>> All boards compile, but only the SAM9263EK has been tested on H/W.
>> Only dataflashcard boot that is...
>> Boot from NAND flash not tested.
>
> Thats what I will not test either - my board has Rev A cpu so only dfc
> booting possible.
>
>> The updated at91bootstrap changes the recipe
>> so that the normal way to configure is to do
>>
>> oe_runmake <board>_defconfig
>>
>> instead of copying a defconfig file to the toplevel .config
>
> Thats good - especially as at91bootstrap configs in OE are basically the
> same which are in sources.
>
>> U-BOOT
>> Updated to 2009.08-rc2 with patches.
>
> [..]
>
>> The last time I bitbaked this, U-Boot did not build
>> for some reason.
>> When I bitbaked u-boot directly, it built.
>> Will rebuild again and see if problem repeats.
>
> Will check it.

Someone found the same problem.

>> LINUX
>> A kernel is generated, with the defconfig taken
>> from Marcin's 2.6.30, slightly updated.
>>
>> Added a lot of patches from the ARM mailing list,
>> but the MCI is missing.
>> Hope to get that later.
>
> I will merge it with linux_2.6.30.bb recipe. Will add also latest
> 2.6.30.x patch to this.
>
> For future: do not use linux-2.6.30.2.tar.bz2 but linux-2.6.30.bz2 +
> patch-2.6.30.2.bz2 - this will save download time for those who have
> linux-2.6.30.tar.bz2 tarball already.

OK.

>> linux boots and you can communicate with the console,
>> but gpe is not started properly.
>
> Interesting problem, will check but later as now I have other type of
> image as default.
>
>> I introduced the possibility to build linux using
>> make <board>_defconfig, instead of using a
>> defconfig in a board directory under linux.
>> LINUX26_DEFCONFIG needs to be defined.
>
> Interesting, will check. I see a problem anyway because linux_*.bb
> recipes by default use defconfig as part of SRC_URI. But we can use
> empty file to satisfy it.

The fix will test if $(LINUX_DEFCONFIG) is defined,
and if so, it will copy $(LINUX_DEFCONFIG)
to defconfig to avoid problems with recipes

Had a bug, but I got it running today.
Will push soon.

--
Best Regards