[oe] Debugging using Eclipse CDT and OpenEmbedded - how to set it up?

Chris Cotton cottons_box at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Aug 17 22:25:42 UTC 2009

Hi all,

I am new to OpenEmbedded, having come from a background of writing C code for 8 bit microprocessors.  I am now starting out using OpenEmbedded with the Gumstix Overo range of devices. (ARM Cortex-A8 based) A post similar to the following was put on the Nabble Gumstix forums earlier today, and it has been suggested that it may be of interest to people here as well.  If this is not the right place for it, I apologise.

I have written a simple 'Hello World' program in C, and have compiled and tested it natively on my PC (which is running Debian 5) in Eclipse.  I have also compiled it from within the OpenEmbedded environment, and then run it on my target hardware.  My goal is to debug an application on the Gumstix Overo using Eclipse, the GDB debugger and an NFS server, utilising the Ethernet connection present on the Gumstix.

The problem is that I can't work out how to set up Eclipse to use the ARM cross - compile toolchain built into OpenEmbedded.  I've found the C/C++ Build and General setup sections in Eclipse, but can't work out where all the right bits of the cross compiler are within my OpenEmbedded installation, and where they go in the Eclipse setup.

In summary, I would be extremely grateful to anyone who is willing to show me, in simple steps, how to tie OpenEmbedded to Eclipse to enable user-friendly debugging.

Thank you in advance,
Chris Cotton.