[oe] [RFC] sane-providers.inc with default providers for all distributions

Martin Jansa martin.jansa at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 09:00:48 UTC 2009

I would like to create new file conf/distro/include/sane-providers.inc
where we could store all default providers.

Every distro should include this file and probably should drop own
PREFERRED_PROVIDERS if preferring same provider as sane-providers.inc.

I already prepared something, but not sure if its worth finishing. So I
need your opinion.

With this file it would be easier to add PROVIDES to new recipe while
forcing old provider in sane-providers for all other distributions
(something like what happen with fso-apm in shr).

Maybe it will be nice to have all options in comment above the default
provider.

I would use weak assignments in this file, but it means that this file
needs to be included after all distro prefered providers, because distro
config use weak assignments too (and also other includes like eglibc.inc).

As opkg have patch from cworth now I would add
PROVIDERS=update-alternatives to opkg and change preferred u-a provider
to opkg (removing 2 u-a scripts on target).

This process seems a bit error prone to me, so I can prepare patch for
shr and angstrom where I can test with rebuild that "nothing" changed.
For other distributions it would be nice to include sane-providers by
distro maintainers.

Can I go ahead and send patches for this or do you see some dead-end as
with SRCPV? :).

Regards,

uin:136542059                jid:Martin.Jansa at gmail.com
Jansa Martin                 sip:jamasip at voip.wengo.fr