[oe] Questions about gcc target packages

Jeremy Williams jerm7861 at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 4 20:49:52 UTC 2009

I am seeing some QA errors when building the gcc target package. The two QA
errors are .so symlink in non -dev package (for the gcc package) and GNU_HASH in
objc libraries.

Looking into the first issue reveals something puzzling to me. If you look at
gcc-package-target.inc, the do_install operation creates a .so symlink to
libgcc. Looking at the FILES definition for the gcc package (non -dev), it
appears that this symlink is being sucked into the package by the entry
"${gcclibdir}/${TARGET_SYS}/${BINV}/lib*". Am I confused here?

I'm not sure what is causing the GNU_HASH issue with the objc libraries...

I do have one other question. What is the thought behind the rule that first
looks for the soft-float (nof) version of libgcc and copies that into
base_libdir instead of the hard-float version? This version of libgcc ends up in
the package libgcc1. When building an sdk with meta-toolchain, libgcc1 ends up
getting installed in the target folder and overwrites the hard-float library
that the gcc-cross-sdk package installs. This causes issues with libstdc++ which
is built to expect the hard-float version of libgcc when linking qmul and
friends (hard float is version GCC_4.1, soft float is version GCC_4.2).

thanks!

-jeremy