[oe] [RFC] gtk+ and fonts

Florian Boor florian.boor at kernelconcepts.de
Mon Dec 7 17:05:33 UTC 2009

Hi,

Phil Blundell schrieb:
> Just removing that RRECOMMENDS (or weakening it to RSUGGESTS) would run
> the risk of breaking images that are currently depending on it.  I
> suspect there are probably quite a few of those and this might not be a
> good idea.

yes right, I see this is problematic. In fact Angström solves on its own already
and other distributions should do the same.

> Creating some kind of virtual for gtk+ to depend on instead of a
> particular concrete font does sound like the best way forwards with
> this.  And, of course, individual DISTROs are welcome to eliminate that
> RRECOMMENDS in the gtk+ packaging.

Eliminating it on my own is what I do currently but I somehow refuse to accept
this as a good solution. I do not see why some misfeature we introduced a long
time ago should not be fixed - even if if can cause some things to break.

Greetings

Florian

--
The dream of yesterday                  Florian Boor
is the hope of today                    Tel: +49 271-771091-15
[Robert Hutchings Goddard, 1904]        florian.boor at kernelconcepts.de
                                        http://www.kernelconcepts.de/en