[oe] libtool failing to define echo?

Chris Conroy Chris.Conroy at hillcrestlabs.com
Thu Dec 10 00:04:52 UTC 2009

I've got an issue building cairomm-1.8.2 (which is newer than the latest
version in OE proper).

Basically libtool is not defining $echo and this is causing compile
errors. I can work around the issue by inserting an echo=echo before the
failure, but this seems like either a cairomm bug or a libtool bug. I'm
just not sure how to go about properly patching it since I don't fully
'get' libtool. If anyone can offer some insight as to the proper fix, it
would be greatly appreciated.

I'm using libtool 1.5.24 at the moment. I seem to recall running into
issues with a newer version, but if the correct thing to do is to
upgrade libtool, let me know.

> # Darwin sucks
> eval std_shrext=\"$shrext_cmds\"

Here is my bogus workaround define
> echo=echo
>
> disable_libs=no
>
> # Parse our command line options once, thoroughly.
> while test "$#" -gt 0
> do
>   arg="$1"
>   shift
>
>   case $arg in
And here is where it fails without the bogus workaround