[oe] multiple DISTRO's in tmp

Khem Raj raj.khem at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 17:29:27 UTC 2009

On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 2:29 AM, Frans Meulenbroeks
<fransmeulenbroeks at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/12/11 Phil Blundell <philb at gnu.org>:
>> On Fri, 2009-12-11 at 09:39 +0100, Frans Meulenbroeks wrote:
>>> However, I was wondering: wouldn't it be nice to allow multiple
>>> distro's in one tmp dir (so that e.g. if they share the same version
>>> of a recipe (like m4-native or os), this does not need to be
>>> recompiled?
>>
>> Even if the (PN, PV) tuple is the same for two DISTROs it doesn't
>> necessarily follow that the resulting packages will be the same.  They
>> might have selected different compilers, configuration options, or
>> versions of depended-on packages.  Or they might have a different
>> filesystem layout, or any number of other things.
>>
>> So, practically speaking, no: it isn't going to be feasible to make
>> multiple DISTROs coexist in a single TMPDIR.  This is a case where you
>> do need to create a separate TMPDIR.
>
> I understand that. Then again it *is* possible for multiple machines
> in the same distro to co-exist, even though the machine config file
> could change some flags.
>
> Rethinking it, I would expect that if things can be shared it would be
> in the native area (and perhaps some things in cross).
>
> Actually just bumped into this because my tmp dir for angstrom was
> about 18 GB and ofc I didn't have sufficient free space for another
> tree (and also not really enough patience to wait out a build of the
> cross tools).

IIRC angstrom used -ggdb3 (which may not be case anymore) which means
more than half of your total size it consumed
by elaborated debug info for code which is compiled at O2 and most of
the debug info
will not be usable. Change using -g instead to reduce the bloat.

-Khem