[oe] dbus error when running menuconfig in konsole

John Faith john at soundmetrics.com
Tue Dec 15 22:17:45 UTC 2009

Hello,
I just moved my oe development tree from an old gnome setup to a new
kde/kubuntu 9.10 machine.  After doing things like changing sh symlink
from dash to bash, and changing TERMCMD in bitbake.conf to konsole from
gnome-terminal, when I try 'bitbake -c menuconfig virtual/kernel' I get:

KUniqueApplication: Cannot find the D-Bus session server:
"/bin/dbus-launch terminated abnormally with the following error: No
protocol specified
| Autolaunch error: X11 initialization failed."

Doing 'xhost +local:' before bitbake gets me a brief flash of konsole,
and I am able to run menuconfig in a running konsole, but still no
menuconfig in the new konsole window.  As an experiment, I changed the
KONSOLE_TERMCMDRUN in bitbake.conf to '${KONSOLE_TERMCMD} -e vi' and
that runs fine in the new window.

Any ideas on how to debug this further?

Thanks,
John