[oe] dbus error when running menuconfig in konsole

John Faith john at soundmetrics.com
Tue Dec 15 22:47:08 UTC 2009

Chris Conroy wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-12-15 at 14:17 -0800, John Faith wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>> I just moved my oe development tree from an old gnome setup to a new
>> kde/kubuntu 9.10 machine.  After doing things like changing sh symlink
>> from dash to bash, and changing TERMCMD in bitbake.conf to konsole from
>> gnome-terminal, when I try 'bitbake -c menuconfig virtual/kernel' I get:
>>
>> KUniqueApplication: Cannot find the D-Bus session server:
>> "/bin/dbus-launch terminated abnormally with the following error: No
>> protocol specified
>> | Autolaunch error: X11 initialization failed."
>>
>> Doing 'xhost +local:' before bitbake gets me a brief flash of konsole,
>> and I am able to run menuconfig in a running konsole, but still no
>> menuconfig in the new konsole window.  As an experiment, I changed the
>> KONSOLE_TERMCMDRUN in bitbake.conf to '${KONSOLE_TERMCMD} -e vi' and
>> that runs fine in the new window.
>>
>> Any ideas on how to debug this further?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> John
>>

> I just happened to be fighting dbus issues (unrelated to OE) for the
> past day or so.
>
> DBus has an odd dependency (IMHO) on X11, and it uses X11 to figure out
> what the current running dbus session is.
>
> If you run 'dbus-launch --auto-syntax', it should output some export
> statements. If you run those in your shell and then run your dbus aware
> application, it should be able to connect to that bus.
>
> Though, I have no clue why make menuconfig on the kernel would trigger
> anything even close to dbus related, but perhaps the above info is
> helpful to you since it took me a while to track it down. It appears
> there aren't a ton of people running dbus in a sans-X11 environment...
>
> --Chris

Hi Chris,
I did try setting env values from dbus-launch, but it didn't seem to
help.  I wonder if when konsole is run from bitbake, something d-bus
related is missing from the environment?  As a workaround I ended up
just running 'CROSS_COMPILE=arm-none-linux-gnueabi- make menuconfig' in
an already-running konsole, then doing the compilation through bitbake,
which worked fine.

Thanks for the suggestion!
,
John