[oe] minimal xwindows

Phil Blundell philb at gnu.org
Mon Dec 21 10:24:11 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-12-20 at 08:27 +0000, John Buckley wrote:
> Okay, I was able to disable the bootup of gpe-dm.  Now I want to run my own
> Xwindows program and have it be the only client calling on the Xserver.
>
> It appears that the 'X' command will launch an instance of Xserver and I can
> bring up a plain black or white screen but then OE waits for this process to
> finish, therefore I can't subsequently launch my own GTK+/Gstreamer application
> that will interact with the Xserver.
>
> Question:  How do I get the Xserver to run in the background as a service so I
> can then run my application.  Or, do I just run 'X' and launch my application
> using the script .xinitrc or .xsession?

The easiest way to do this would be to leave gpe-dm enabled, but remove
all the unwanted stuff from /etc/X11/Xinit.d and install a script in
there that starts the app that you want.

If it's the GPE login screen that you're trying to avoid, removing the
gpe-login package is probably what you want to do.

p.