[oe] why rootfs directory in temp is empty

John Faith john at soundmetrics.com
Tue Dec 22 22:40:10 UTC 2009

Frans Meulenbroeks wrote:
> 2009/12/22 Denys Dmytriyenko <denis at denix.org>:

>>> Add IMAGE_KEEPROOTFS = "1" to your local.conf file.
>>> I'm not sure why the change was made to clean it out every build, though.
>>>
>> To prevent people from using it as an NFS share and having problems.
>>

> Ehm, can you please clarify why this would cause a problem?
> (btw if I recall correctly the rootfs is still there in the work dir,
> and anyway you can build a rootfs in a tar.gz file and untar that).
>
> Frans

The first time I tried to boot a system using files from the temp
rootfs, I quickly found that some parts were missing, like all the /dev
nodes, due to permissions when constructing the rootfs if I recall
correctly.

That was a while ago so maybe things are different now, but I'm glad
that the "wrong" files are removed now to reduce (my) confusion.

,
John