[oe] helloworld image

Leon Woestenberg leon.woestenberg at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 14:51:20 UTC 2009

Hello Koen,

On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 9:54 AM, Koen Kooi <k.kooi at student.utwente.nl> wrote:
> On 28-12-09 23:19, Leon Woestenberg wrote:
>> I would like to start with nothing and then configure the system for
>> what I need.
>>
>> Should I start another more-minimal distro or can we change the
>> minimal distro to be truely minimalistic?
>
> You're confusing image and distro again. With angstrom I'm using a 80KiB
> big image that has an fbdev based gui, so it looks your image recipe is
> doing something wrong.

I think I am not confusing them again, I think other people are.

This is what happened:

Changes to the distro have made the image bigger (80 kB to 4MB).

Apparently, the image does not define what goes in the image, but the
distro now specifies a minimum amount of packages that goes in.

Also, we seem to be moving to the point where people must both disable
default packages to go in, and enable packages to go in.

Why not simply go back to the idea where the images defines what goes
in?  I think it's more user friendly.

Regards,
--
Leon