[oe] Move IMAGE_BOOT stuff into distro's?

Khem Raj raj.khem at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 22:42:46 UTC 2009

On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 11:44 AM, Leon Woestenberg
<leon.woestenberg at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Koen,
>
> On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 7:46 PM, Koen Kooi <k.kooi at student.utwente.nl> wrote:
>>
>> On 29-12-09 16:15, Leon Woestenberg wrote:
>>> Why do we hardcode names of default packages in the "image.bbclass"?
>>>
>>> Now every image recipe that doesn't want these has to know the
>>> variables it has to override.
>>>
>>> Shouldn't this be distro material instead?
>>
>> No, since these are things you want to be able to manage on a per image
>> basis, not distro wide. I don't want to create a whole 'new' distro just
>> to try mdev instead of udev or use tinylogin instead of shadow, etc.
>> When we made that change we discussed what the default values for those
>> vars should be and it was agreed they should provide sane defaults.
>>
> OK understood, apparantly we want to have a generic image base
> containing udev, a login, shadow etc.
> that is distro-indepent.
>
> Can we remove that from the image class, and move into a
> image-boot.inc or something?

or create a class base-image without these defaults
and let image class include base-image plus these IMAGE_* defaults
that way you dont have to modiy recipes which inherit image which are many
instead one can modify the recipes which dont need the IMAGE_* defaults
to inherit from base-image

-Khem