[oe] Move IMAGE_BOOT stuff into distro's?

Leon Woestenberg leon.woestenberg at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 19:37:45 UTC 2009

Hello,

On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 9:48 AM, Koen Kooi <k.kooi at student.utwente.nl> wrote:
>>> OK understood, apparantly we want to have a generic image base
>>> containing udev, a login, shadow etc.
>>> that is distro-indepent.
>>>
>>> Can we remove that from the image class, and move into a
>>> image-boot.inc or something?
>
> What's the problem with setting 3 vars to "" in your helloworld image?

Let me counter that question: What's the problem with bitrot and poor
design if the end result still works?

Of course it's easy to add 3 vars, that's not my point. The point is
those 3 vars do not need to be hard coded by
default in a class.

Design:

The class implements the work to be done.
The recipes describe what work has to be done indirectly.

Design problem:

The class now contains hard-coded package names directly.

The image recipes have to know the internals of the class in order to
revert to fully customizable behaviour.

Of course I could stop being frustrated about this and happily add 3
vars to my image and not care about this anymore.

Regards,
--
Leon