[oe] Please use the wiki

Sledz, Steffen sledz at DResearch.DE
Thu Feb 5 08:07:56 UTC 2009

As a developer working on OE just sometimes it is really hard to find information about all the big and little problems, hacks, tipps, and tricks. Often you have to dig through the archives of the mailing lists and frequently you overlook important things. This leads to problems by breaking unknown rules and much more mails asking the same questions again and again.

With the wiki <http://wiki.openembedded.net/> there is a much better place to pool all these informations. It is easy to write and update the pages, it is possible to discuss the items, there is a version history and a full text search, it is possible to use categories, and much more.

It would be really helpful if all the important information from the mailing lists and other sources could find it's way (directly or with references) to the wiki. I miss pages describing major concepts (e.g. virtual and native packages), the branch policy (e.g. how's the the stable branch made?), pages to all the main distros, machines and major packages, an overview about all the tricky things usable in the recipes, best practises, and so on.

So again my call (especially to the core team): Please share your knowledge in the wiki!

Thx in advance,
Steffen