[oe] Machine config generator (FOSDEM idea)

Ulf Samuelsson ulf.samuelsson at atmel.com
Fri Feb 13 15:12:01 UTC 2009

> Hi
>
> I was talking during FOSDEM with some developers and one of things which
> I was asked about was 'how to create machine config' (usually question
> was other but had this sense).
>
> OE developers usually know that machine config is simple but tell that
> to Joe Random who only knows that his board use s3c2443 etc. So idea was
> to create simple few steps wizard which will ask few questions and
> produce machine config as result. More work would be required on
> creating kernel recipe because kernel can be from svn/cvs/git or tarball
> + quilt patchset etc...
>
> Thats only beginning of idea - I hope that someone will provide
> feedback.

Yes, this is one of two major drawbacks of OpenEmbedded.
The second beeing buildtime.

Should it be possible to use KConfig?

For Buildroot, I have generated a Config.in which
allows you to specify any kernel version from 2.6.22 and onwards.
You can apply any minor patch, -mm patch or -rc-# patch.
You can also apply an architecture or board specific patch
as well as a named patch from the download directory.

When you apply an architecture specific patch, you have a list
of patches to select from so you could apply the 2.6.17.6 patches
on top of 2.6.17.12.

Would be good to be able to download a patchset as well, but this is not yet
supported.

Best Regards
Ulf Samuelsson