[oe] debian packaging

Rodrigo Vivi rodrigo.vivi at openbossa.org
Fri Feb 13 20:52:18 UTC 2009

On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 11:56 PM, Robert Schuster <theBohemian at gmx.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Mike Turquette schrieb:
>> Hi all,

Hi

>> I'm trying to understand more about debian packaging in OE.  I know
>> that OE can churn out dpkg's as a result,

Yes. It is provided by package_deb.bbclass and works very well.

> > but does OE have a way to
>> intelligently make use of source code that has a 'debian' directory
>> complete with rules and all of that?

No. It is very difficult to have something really "intelligent" do
create a complete debian directory to build your sources in a way that
the result is really like the .deb generated by package_deb.bblcass.

Actually in Mamona we have the sourcedsc.bbclass that creates a .dsc
(debian source package) but it has an empty rules. We've just created
it to have an easy way to read sources inside Mamona SDK (which is
chroot based).

We though about lots of ideas to implement sourcedsc.bbclass to
generate a good rules, but we never found an good and easy way to do
that.

> OE's debian packaging has nothing to do with the 'debian' directory.
>
>> By 'intelligently' I mean can OE determine what DEPENDS and RDEPENDS
>> should be, based on the dpkg control info and can it figure out what
>> needs to go into staging?  I'm hoping for something analogous to
>> autotools.bbclass which uses stuff in the source (instead of the
>> recipe) to figure out much of the configuration and decision-making.
> It is the other way round: By declaring you want .deb as output it will
> take a package's RDEPENDS and many other information to create a deb's
> control file.

Actually the control file or depends variable are not the problem. The
most difficult part is to have a good rules debian file.

http://dev.openbossa.org/mamona/gitweb?p=mamona.git;a=blob;f=classes/sourcedsc.bbclass;h=d5bbc64906c49809fdc43505f3f0cc7ee183b0aa;hb=HEAD