[oe] checksums situation

Phil Blundell pb at reciva.com
Sun Feb 15 10:04:40 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-02-13 at 16:37 -0200, Otavio Salvador wrote:
> Ihar Hrachyshka <ihar.hrachyshka at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 7:08 PM, Otavio Salvador <otavio at debian.org> wrote:
> >> Marcin Juszkiewicz <openembedded at haerwu.biz> writes:
> >>
> >> <...>

> >> <...>
> >>
> >> What about having a checksums for _each_ recipe?
> >>
> >> foo_1.0.bb
> >> foo_1.0.md5sum
> >
> > This will waste directories and will make tree navigation harder.
>
> Well; so let's just create a md5sums directory at OE topdir and add the
> dirs and files there.

That would work, and it'd certainly be better than the single monolithic
checksums.ini, but it would still be a bit of a nuisance for overlay
users.

Your original suggestion of a .md5sum file sounds reasonable enough to
me; I'm not really sure I buy the argument about wasting directories.
But I still think it would be even better to find a way to put the
md5sums inside the .bb file itself.

For packages where the SRC_URI is defined locally in the .bb file then
there's no real problem: the existing ";md5sum=..." notation will work
fine.  For packages where SRC_URI is inherited from some class or
include file, obviously that doesn't work.  In that case I guess the
easiest solution is just to put the checksums in a separate variable,
something like:

CHECKSUMS = "foo_${PV}.tar.bz/md5=076e48835bee2609a3713b35fb89631c"
CHECKSUMS += "foo_1.0-${PR}.patch/sha1=9bfbeca5db4887b62826da6d0169c62c244f6188"

p.