[oe] checksums situation

Philip Balister philip at balister.org
Tue Feb 24 16:28:46 UTC 2009

Michael 'Mickey' Lauer wrote:
> Am Montag, den 23.02.2009, 23:46 -0700 schrieb Tom Rini:
>> I'm going to make a different suggestion.  Lets just drop it.
>
> I'm in favour of this. I don't think they give us the safety we want and
> they introduce more inconvenience.

Drop checksum checking? I am not in favour of this. The check does
provide valuable reassurance that the source's are not changing in
"funny" ways. This is valuable data for many people.

We have ways of disabling the checks for people who are less concerned
with image integrity.

I agree the current implementation is not perfect, but it is a good
compromise.

The only thing I would like to see is a way to keep a local checksums
file for people using overlays and other out of tree sw.

Philip