[oe] checksums situation

Otavio Salvador otavio at ossystems.com.br
Wed Feb 25 02:01:05 UTC 2009

Tom Rini <trini at kernel.crashing.org> writes:

> On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 08:36:35PM +0200, Ihar Hrachyshka wrote:
>> On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 8:01 PM, Otavio Salvador
>> <otavio at ossystems.com.br> wrote:

>> > After reading the thread I'm also in favour of this.
>>
>> If you guys don't need it then just disable this checksum feature. No problem.
>
> This misses the point.  We're trying to get things to the point (and
> keep them there) where the default case is things working well.  I and
> others are arguing that the checksum feature is at best a lazy way to
> check only for files changing and not their correctness.  I'm not saying
> we don't need a feature to check for correctness, I'm saying what we
> have now doesn't.

I do belive that the best way to solve it is to have a md5 file together
with the .bb recipe. This solves the problems for forks, derivatives and
also makes harder to just use "cat tmp/checksums.ini >> conf/checksums.ini".

Doing that we'll have a clear way to add the required content, avoid the
mirror and URL issues and also make simple to forget about useless
entries in the metadata repository.

Obviously, it is a little more difficult to add the contents but I
believe that it will enforce more checking by our side before changing a
hash.

My 2c.

--
Otavio Salvador                  O.S. Systems
Mobile: +55 53 9981-7854         http://projetos.ossystems.com.br