[oe] Discussion regarding the future of OpenEmbedded mailing lists

Martyn Welch martyn.welch at gefanuc.com
Wed Feb 25 16:08:03 UTC 2009

Wolf, Josef wrote:
> Martyn Welch wrote:
>
> [ ... ]
>> There has been a proposal on the openembedded-devel mailing list
>> to re-organise the lists provided on openembedded.org.
> [ ... ]
>> Openembedded-devel - for humans to post patches and ask questions
>> Openembedded-commits - commits, bugs, logs, etc
>> Openembedded-private - core team
>
> To be honest, I am somewhat confused by the naming of the lists.
> If I understand correctly, the intent of the new lists are
>
> OE-private: core-team.
>             All the other projects I know of would call this list
>             FOOBAR-devel
>
> OE-devel: rest of the world.
>           All the other projects I know of would call this list
>           FOOBAR-users
>
> Is there any reason for this strange (that is: non-standard) naming
> scheme?  Is OE-private meant to contain really private (confidential?)
> traffic?  If not, I'd guess many people (like me) would mis-interpret
> the intent of this list.

Yes - it is my understanding that the traffic on Openembedded-private is really private (I believe that OpenEmbedded is now legally registered as a non-profit in Germany and I should imagine there are certain discussions which need a degree of privacy).

Openembedded-devel is currently planned to be the list for all technical discussions of the use and development of OE.

Martyn

--
Martyn Welch MEng MPhil MIET (Principal Software Engineer)   T:+44(0)1327322748
GE Fanuc Intelligent Platforms Ltd,        |Registered in England and Wales