[oe] Merge windows, was: Re: [RFC] renaming packages/ to recipes/

Otavio Salvador otavio at ossystems.com.br
Thu Feb 26 00:56:03 UTC 2009

Koen Kooi <k.kooi at student.utwente.nl> writes:

> On 25-02-09 22:15, Michael 'Mickey' Lauer wrote:
>> Sounds good for me on a stable branch, not so much on a development
>> branch.
>
> A perptually broken development branch is no good. The current .dev is
> unbuildable literally every other day, so I'm not a fan of keeping
> .dev the free-for-all it is now.
> And Mikes proposal was holding off *disruptive* changes, not *all* changes.

[...]

Yes from my POV it does make sense and it could also help derivatives to
plan their development according to it.

For example if you have a distro that is based on dev branch you should
avoid merging it at start of mounth since it has high risk to be broken
or with still unknown bugs.

With GIT it is quite easy to hold changes for a while and merge them all
together when done. We could even build a "oe-next" try that merges
automatically from people trees and catch conflicts. This could make
whole merging easier when next mounth arrives ;-)

Otavio Salvador                  O.S. Systems
Mobile: +55 53 9981-7854         http://projetos.ossystems.com.br