[oe] RFC: "Virtual" native and sdk recipes

Richard Purdie rpurdie at rpsys.net
Thu Jan 1 20:11:27 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-01-01 at 11:25 -0700, Tom Rini wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 01, 2009 at 04:25:14PM +0000, Richard Purdie wrote:
>
> > Its nice to try something a bit different occasionally. For a long time
> > the mechanical repetitive nature of -native and -sdk recipes has
> > bothered me and people have talked about getting rid of them since
> > forever. I've had ideas floating around on how to address this for a
> > while and I now have a proper proposal and better still a proof of
> > concept.
>
> I'll read the whole thing again later, but in working on the canadian
> SDK stuff (*poke*) I've been thinking why don't we just build the "SDK"
> packages for building our own stuff?  gcc/etc are relocatible if we
> build them right...

Even if gcc is relocatable, some software (quilt springs to mind) has to
be built using the paths it will be installed to. I'll happily support
any effort to make as much as possible support relocation but at the
very least we'll continue having -native packages and its them this is
primarily aimed at. I wouldn't want to miss the opportunity to kill off
many of the -sdk packages in poky at the same time though!

I've been wondering how much the canadian SDK code will benefit from
this and perhaps you can give some input on that?

Cheers,

Richard