[oe] python roadmap

Michael 'Mickey' Lauer mickey at vanille-media.de
Sun Jan 11 23:19:45 UTC 2009

You may have seen that I just branched off mickey/python2.6. Python 2.6 has
been in org.oe.dev for quite a while and I have did extensive tests with it.
It's now ready for public consumption, however since it's a major version
upgrade, I need to bump all packages that ship something to
${libdir}/python2.x.

To get this in one commit, I'll do it in the branch. I'll also take this
chance to go over all python related packages and run a cleanup round -- if
there's something to clean up.

I expect this to be complete in one or two weeks. Please hold off any major
changes to Python-recipes until then.

With regards to Python 3, I will probably add it in February. It's going to be
a long time until the critical mass of external packages have upgraded to v3,
I expect not before 2010. We can take it easy with BitBake as well, but we
should start removing the stuff that Python 2.6 claims to be deprecated asap.

Cheers,

Mickey.