[oe] RFC: "Virtual" native and sdk recipes

Esben Haabendal esbenhaabendal at gmail.com
Mon Jan 12 20:30:59 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 2:16 AM, Tom Rini <trini at kernel.crashing.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 09, 2009 at 12:54:50AM +0000, Richard Purdie wrote:
>> * I'm also not keen on the SDK_PREFIX -> SDK_PATH change. Why? It
>>   breaks things for people. In fact please back this out before merging
>>   anything above, I don't see a good reason for it.
>
> Esben?

At best, I find it rather disturbing to have BUILD_PREFIX, HOST_PREFIX and
TARGET_PREFIX meaning one thing, and then having a SDK_PREFIX which
is totally different.  And given that we introduce a number of SDK_* variables
similar to the BUILD_*, HOST_* and TARGET_* variables, I think it will disturb
a reasonable number of other people to without this change.

As for it breaking for other people, I did a search of the org.openembedded.dev
before making this change, and found that SDK_PATH was used so sparingly,
that the change was so clean that I fail to see a problem with it.  Of-course,
I don't know how much non org.openembedded.dev code uses it, but I assume
that any such code should be fixed to rely on proper path variables and not
use the SDK_PREFIX (SDK_PATH) directly.

Best regards,
Esben
--
Esben Haabendal, Senior Software Consultant
DoréDevelopment ApS, Ved Stranden 1, 9560 Hadsund, DK-Denmark
Phone: +45 51 92 53 93, E-mail: eha at doredevelopment.dk
WWW: http://www.doredevelopment.dk