[oe] [RFC] Overlay hosting and mirroring on git.oe.net

John Willis John.Willis at Distant-earth.com
Thu Jan 15 14:45:23 UTC 2009

Hi,

> There are a lot of OE based projects around that use an overlay to
> manage their tweaks (e.g. gumstix, openpandora, arago), which has pros
> and cons. A while ago I was talking to John Willis (of open2x and
> openpandora fame) and he liked the idea of mirroring the pandora overlay
> on git.oe.net to make it more visible and to make it easier for OE
> developers to work on making pieces of it upstream safe.
> I think a git mirror of poky would fall in this category as well.

Get's my vote. As I mentioned on IRC the current OpenPandora model uses 3
overlays. With the 3rd one being a simple user.collection that local Pandora
specific recipes go into before working there way upwards.

In time I would love to get to a model for Pandora specific stuff where
hacks go user.collection > openpandora.dev > (hopefully)
openembedded.dev/stable. Mirroring the GIT for openpandora.dev (or whatever
the final name we settle on is) on git.oe.net seems very sensible to me.
This also fits with possible ideas such as a 'for-upstream' branch to manage
upwards movement.

I am in the progress of moving/consolidating all the OpenPandora GIT stuff
onto one server (git.openpandora.org) so as soon as that is done then I can
see no reason not to start the mirroring even if we are still loading stuff
in and tweaking.

Regards,

John Willis