[oe] [RFC] Fix udev pulling in libvolume-id-dev

Denys Dmytriyenko denis at denix.org
Thu Jan 15 15:58:23 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 07:56:37AM +0100, Koen Kooi wrote:
> On 15-01-09 07:14, Denys Dmytriyenko wrote:
>
>> libvolume-id-dev does not provide the actual .so library, but it contains
>> symlink in /usr/lib, which points to /lib/libvolume.so.0 (the host one!)
>> instead of ../../lib/ one...
>
> That's the intended behaviours, since installing the packages will have it
> point to ${libdir}/libvolume.so.0 on your device. I'm not sure if we want
> to patch every package to use relative symlinks.

So far, all other packages I looked at, have relative or same-dir symlinks in
corresponding -dev (libc, libpng, jpeg, gnutls etc)
Since -dev gets run through shlib magic outside of the main package with
the actual .so, relative or same-dir symlinks are broken, leading to a normal
behavior :)

>> The first patch attached fixes this in udev and should be a no brainer.
>> Unless
>> someone objects, I'll push it in in a day or two.
>>
>> Since I was debugging the code which actually does this shlib magic in
>> package.bbclass, I thought it might be useful to prevent this kind of
>> issues
>> in the future by skipping symlinks while looking for SONAME/NEEDED in the
>> objdump - please see the second patch attached and provide feedback.
>
> The change to package.bbclass looks OK to me, if that gets applied we can
> leave out the udev patch.

That's the goal :)

--
Denys