[oe] Bugtracker Status

Philip Balister philip at balister.org
Fri Jan 23 01:39:22 UTC 2009

Otavio Salvador wrote:
> "Michael 'Mickey' Lauer" <mickey at vanille-media.de> writes:
>
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> we have 1141 open bugs in the bugtracker, a couple of hundreds from ancient
>> autobuilder builds, some more hundreds application specific bugs, and then
>> some actual ones.
>>
>> I think there are two ways to deal with the mess:
>>
>> 1.) Officially close the bugtracker down.
>>
>> 2.) Attack the situation.
>>
>> I'm fine with either way, though if we'd go for 2.), I'd propose:
>>
>> 2.1.) Removing all autobuilder bugs completely (how can we script that?) and
>> stop autobuilder automatically adding bugs. It was a great idea, but it
>> didn't work out. We do not have enough manpower and it just messes up the
>> bugtracker.
>> 2.2.) Remove all software specific bugs that have an upstream and are not
>> distribution-relevant, such as GPE, Opie, Kernel, etc.

Can we at least markbugs that are upstream issues in such a way that we
can track when they are fixed upstream?

>> 2.3.) Reinstate the monthly bug squashing weekends.

Dedicated bug squashing periods are good!

>> Opinions?
>
> I propose to change the workflow a bit (and reuse few points you've proposed):
>
>  1. stop using bugtracker to handle patches
>  2. use mailing list to handle patches (comments bellow)
>  3. drop autobuilder bug reporting (comments bellow)

Basically, I agree with Otavio.

What about a new list for patches and discussion? I don't know if this
is a good idea though.

I think the tinderbox work may be a better way of tracking auto-builder
issues.

Philip