[oe] State of e.V.

Michael 'Mickey' Lauer mickey at vanille-media.de
Wed Jul 1 18:21:55 UTC 2009

Hi folks,

some days ago on LinuxTag, 3/4 of the OpenEmbedded e.V. board had an ad-hoc-
assembly together with some members. I volunteered to take notes and compile
this letter for you guys.

There were only three major points on the agenda:
I.) Current legal status.
II.) The member situation a.k.a. who can read the statutes ;)
III.) The next OEDEM.

I.) We are finally registered as e.V., we have tax excemption status (yay!), we
are in the process of opening a bank account.

II.) The member situation.
We read the germans statutes again and the translation as provided by KDE e.V.
We agreed that the facts are clearly stated there and leave no room for
interpretation. I will explain now for non-lawyers how -- according to the
statutes -- the e.V. can recruit members:

==============
Acquiring a new member is a two phase process. First phase is 'proposal',
second phase is 'approval'. For the proposal phase to succeed, an aspirant has
to be proposed by an active member with two more members supporting the
proposal.

For the second phase to succeed, there are two ways to approve a new member:
a) per accepted request in a general assembly,
b) per internet voting. The modalities are up to the bylaws as agreed by the
members during a general assembly (note the scent of recursion here ;)
==============

This means that our previous member acquiring procedure was not compliant w/
our statutes, hence it is void.

To move forward with the e.V. we need to:

1.) Rollback the member situation back to the state of the founding assembly.
I will remove everyone but said members from the openembedded-members list.

2.) Decide on the internet voting system. Our recommendation is to use the KDE
voting system which is pretty sane. As our internet voting is not done yet
(note the chicken and egg problem here), this _has_ to be decided in a general
assembly.

4.) To escape the chicken and egg problem we will have to hold a general
assembly asap.

5.) The general assembly will elect a voting officer who will take the already
porposed members, so that we can vote for all of them in one round.

6.) Then we can move on with deciding about membership fees, newspaper,
raisung funds, etc.

III) OEDEM.

It's been a while since we had the last OE Developers Meeting. A lot of things
have happened and decisions have to be made. It's very important that we hold
this asap. To get the most out of it, we will also hold this in conjunction
with the 2nd general assembly.

We have proposed three weekends. If anyone of you could open a doodle for
that, I'd be grateful:

* 12/13 Sept.
* 17/18 Oct.
* 7/8 Nov.

We also do not have a place yet. Berlin, Frankfurt, or somewhere else?

Cheers,

:M: