[oe] uclibc questions and impressions

Holger Hans Peter Freyther holger+oe at freyther.de
Thu Jul 2 07:14:04 UTC 2009

Hey,

I'm currently attempting a uclibc/x86 build and have stumbled across some
issues and I wonder what other people think about it and how they want to fix
it.

1.) uClibc.machine mess...

A uClibc.machine needs to include KERNEL_HEADERS, if not it will default to
/usr/include... which will create all sorts of issues. It can included
anything as we will fix it...

Proposal: put KERNEL_HEADERS in the default uClibc.machine...

TARGET_ARCH and arch floating point must be set...

Proposals:
  a) Error when a uClibc.machine is missing
  b) Split uClibc.machine further into uClibc.arch and uClibc.machine?
      Reasoning: Do we really need uClibc.machine for qemux86, x86,
      x86-foo...?
  c) ???

2.) libc-uclibc unawareness...

What:
conf/distro/include/uclibc.inc at least sets the OVERRIDES .= ":libc-uclibc"
but is only included by angstrom and not minimal-uclibc, micro-uclibc...

Proposal:
Kill linux-uclibc and linux-uclibcgnueabi in favor for the libc-uclibc
override, make micro-uclibc and minimal-uclibc include the uclibc.inc as well?

does this sound reasonable?
	z.