[oe] How does OE determine the kernel version that gets build?

Lars Holowko Lars.Holowko at lantronix.com
Tue Jul 7 22:13:56 UTC 2009

Hi everybody,

I am working with an Atmel AT91SAM9G20-EK evaluation board. I was able
to successfully build the console-image and the default 2.6.28 kernel
for it.

Now I want to switch to a 2.6.30 kernel (for better wireless support)
but bitbake linux or bitbake console-image always builds 2.6.28 instead.
I copied a defconfig to recipies/linux/linux-2.6.30/at91sam9g20ek,
copied the AT91 patches for 2.6.30 in its place and added a
DEFAULT_PREFERENCE_at91sam9g20ek = "30" line to
recipies/linux/linux_2.6.30.bb hoping to make the 2.6.30 kernel active.

I can build a running kernel 2.6.30 with bitbake -b
recipies/linux/linux_2.6.30.bb.

Funnily there is no DEFAULT_PREFERENCE_at91sam9g20ek line in
recipies/linux/linux_2.6.28.bb and its DEFAULT_PREFERENCE = "-1" so I do
not even understand why that kernel gets chosen at all.

Looks like kernel version that gets build is determined somewhere else.
Can anyone point me to a document that describes how versions really get
determined? Adding a couple of -D -D -D -D did not really help. I see a
line

DEBUG: selecting
/old/OE-current/openembedded/recipes/linux/linux_2.6.28.bb as
PREFERRED_VERSION 2.6.28 of package linux (for item
kernel-module-zd1211rw)

in the log but then I do not understand why kernel-module-zd1211rw
triggers the 2.6.28 kernel. 'zd1211rw' hardly appears in any recipes :-(

Any hint would be highly appreciated.

Lars

This e-mail is the property of Lantronix. It is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, or otherwise protected from disclosure. Distribution or copying of this e-mail, or the information contained herein, to anyone other than the intended recipient is prohibited.