[oe] Using git tags with OE

Otavio Salvador otavio at ossystems.com.br
Mon Jul 13 19:08:17 UTC 2009

Hello,

I'm also opposite to the idea to make it public in the official
branch. We use tags here at O.S. Systems but those are kept in our
local repository only.

On Sun, Jul 12, 2009 at 3:15 PM, Leon
Woestenberg<leon.woestenberg at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Sun, Jul 12, 2009 at 7:01 PM, Marco Cavallini<koansoftware at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>> anybody knows if is possible to use git tags with OE ?
>>
>> I'd like to tag a patch (SHA-1) identifying a particular 'state of the
>> art' like it was a 'stable' version.
>> At the moment I save the last patch SHA-1 and I use it as reference.
>> For example if I successfully build just now a particular version, then
>> I tag it mck-0.0.1 into OE so everybody can refer to such tag in the future.
>>
>> I thought it could be a good idea, what do you think?
>>
> Hmm, I think it would clutter up too much.
>
> And if we use it, the tag should be self-describing.
>
> If you built a particular version succesfully, it doesn't mean someone
> else also can build that version
> succesfully; anything outside GIT is also a dependence for a succesful build.
>
> For example, today we have some packages that sometimes break a build
> (probably due to a race condition).
>
> I'ld say, keep with the commit hash for a known-good-build.
>
> Regards,
> --
> Leon

Otavio Salvador                  O.S. Systems
Mobile: +55 53 9981-7854         http://projetos.ossystems.com.br