[oe] e2fsprogs-libs build failure analysis

Richard Purdie rpurdie at rpsys.net
Tue Jul 14 19:47:12 UTC 2009

Hi,

On Sun, 2009-07-12 at 23:57 -0400, Denys Dmytriyenko wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 12, 2009 at 01:34:34PM -0700, Khem Raj wrote:
> > Like many others I was also getting this problem reported on this mailing list in past
> >
> > http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.handhelds.openembedded/24445/match=e2fsprogs+libs
> >
> > I looked a bit into this and the problem is that PN gets overwritten when
> > do_package_write_ipk -> read_subpackage_metadata
>
> Have you seen this thread several months ago with the same analysis:
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.handhelds.openembedded/22376/focus=22556
>
> As I said before, pkgdata/runtime handling needs fixing - if multiple recipes
> (or even target vs. native/sdk of the same package, like it was with curl)
> provide the identically named .so library (libblkid in this case) during the
> build, there may be a conflict in the pkgdata/runtime files.
>
> What are the pkgdata files are used for ultimately? Do they need to contain
> PN/PV/PR? That was introduced by the commit mentioned in the thread above...
> Should it be reverted?
>
> Lets ask Richard - he made this change in Poky, maybe he has a better fix for
> it... :)

The real problem here is two packages providing the same library. This
is actually a critical error and means your distro is screwed unless
handled very carefully. Rather than hacking around the problem, I'd much
rather we detect and abort in this case and warn the user something is
about to break and that any package feeds will need careful attention.

Cheers,

Richard

--
Richard Purdie