[oe] [Bitbake-dev] Bitbake runqueue performance improvement

Richard Purdie rpurdie at rpsys.net
Wed Jul 22 08:53:19 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-07-21 at 18:58 -0400, Michael Smith wrote:
> I've been playing around with this and it seems to be creating some
> problems, unless it's just finding problems in my overlay that the old
> code didn't see.
>
> With the latest fix, it finds dependency loops, but I'm not sure how to
> track them down as the dependencies are identified only by numbers:

Thanks for testing. It is actually telling you the problem and decoding
the information:

> Dependency loop #1 found:
>    Task 7
> (/home/michael/startitup/public/recipes/images/toastix-image.bb,
> do_install) (depends: set([9, 6]))
>    Task 8
> (/home/michael/startitup/public/recipes/images/toastix-image.bb,
> do_populate_staging) (depends: set([7]))
>    Task 9
> (/home/michael/startitup/public/recipes/images/toastix-image.bb,
> do_rootfs) (depends: set([1024, 6, 2049, 8, 2057, 2059, 13, 791, 2067,
> 21, 23, 2077, 31, 33, 2087, 41, 43, 2097, 51, 53, 2107,

So task 7 depends on task 9 which depends on task 8 which depends on
task 7. Its lists what tasks 7, 8 and 9 are.

Is it just this image recipe thats causing problems or are there others?
Can you point me at a copy of the recipe?

> Before the fix from 502bd2e, it was dropping some do_package_write_deb
> dependencies that are needed to ensure .debs are built for packages that
> are not listed in IMAGE_INSTALL, but are required by other packages. My
> task-depends.dot was missing about 1000 entries. So was my depends.dot.

Yes, without the fix it would do that.

> BTW, is there any chance of getting Bitbake officially moved to a Git
> repo? I think a few people are working out of git-svn trees, or subdirs
> inside larger git trees, but it takes some gymnastics to merge between
> them as Git doesn't know they're related.

As Chris replied, he's looking at this. I admit I'd like to see bitbake
moved to git.

Cheers,

Richard

--