[oe] linux recipe selected despite ASSUME_PROVIDED += "virtual/kernel"

Patrick Bellasi derkling at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 08:46:01 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 09:50, Graham Gower<graham.gower at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I wish to build an Angstrom based console-image for mipsel from the
> org.openembedded.dev branch. I maintain a kernel for the device but am
> not yet ready to integrate this into an OE recipe. The default
> linux_2.6.30.bb
> fails to build for me, thus I wish to not build the kernel at this point
> in time.
>
> My local.conf contains the following lines,
> STAGING_KERNEL_DIR = "/home/grg/jz/linux"
> ASSUME_PROVIDED += "virtual/kernel"

I guess that a kernel is required to build an image: in instance to
compile libc which relay on some kernel headers.

> However, when i run 'bitbake console-image the default linux_2.6.30.bb
> recipe
> is still selected and the build procedes to fail.
>
> Is this the correct procedure to avoid building a kernel? If so, what else
> could I be doing wrongly?
So: if you ASSUME_PROVIDED a kernel, at least you should provide a
reference to you kernel tree... but the main poin is: is it possible
to reference a kernel outside OE?

> -Graham

Patrick

--
#include <best/regards.h>

DERKLING
LRU 338214 (http://counter.li.org)

<---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
   Patrick Bellasi <bellasi at elet dot polimi dot it>
   PhD student at Politecnico di Milano

   Contacts:
    - ICQ         344672588
    - MSN       derkling at yahoo dot it
    - Skype     derkling

   Personal Sites:
    - Bookmarks
           http://del.icio.us/derkling
    - Bibliography
           http://www.bibsonomy.org/user/derkling

   Privacy:
    - GnuPG     0x72ABC1EE (keyserver.linux.it)
       pub      1024D/72ABC1EE 2003-12-04
       Key fingerprint = 3958 7B5F 36EC D1F8 C752
                                9589 C3B7 FD49 72AB C1EE