[oe] Busybox ifupdown usage

Tom Rini trini at embeddedalley.com
Tue Jul 28 19:27:26 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 04:24:38PM -0400, Denys Dmytriyenko wrote:

> Busybox has the following warning about using ifupdown:
>
> http://git.busybox.net/busybox/tree/docs/ifupdown_design.txt
>
> AFAICS, ifupdown from Busybox is used in most of the images. Are there any
> concerns? How valid is the warning above?

In all 5 defconfigs for 1.13.2 FEATURE_IFUPDOWN_EXTERNAL_DHCP is
disabled and UDHCPC is enabled.  So yes, if busybox ifupdown is used
rather than the ifupdown package (and I don't see runtime update
alternatives magic in ifupdown_0.6.8.bb) only udhcpc is going to be a
working client.  It's probably luck then that people either use busybox
or they use not-busybox and some other dhcp client and real ifupdown.

--
Tom Rini