[oe] [RFC] Rebuild external kernel modules on kernel change

Phil Blundell pb at reciva.com
Mon Jun 1 19:10:44 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-06-01 at 20:45 +0200, Koen Kooi wrote:
> On 01-06-09 20:17, Phil Blundell wrote:
> > On Mon, 2009-06-01 at 19:25 +0200, Koen Kooi wrote:
> >> So far I've only seen suggestions that will trigger a rebuild of recipes
> >> using module*bbclass, but no solutions for automagic version changes so
> >> that the package manager will pick it up as well.
> >
> > I don't quite understand why this is so complicated; can't you just
> > append the kernel's ABI version to either ${PR} or ${PV} (depending on
> > whether or not you want parallel installability) for the modules?
>
> No, since PV and PR need to be known at parsing time when the kernel
> hasn't been built yet.

I can't think offhand of any reason why it's important to have PR
available at parse time, but if that's the case then you could splice it
into DISTRO_PR (or some equivalent variable) instead.

My reference to PV above was spurious; it's no different to PR in this
context.  If you want parallel installation then it's actually PKG_xx
that you need to modify (or, conceptually, PN, but fiddling with that
would almost certainly be a bad idea).

p.